Friday 19 August 2011

Re-acquainting myself


Ages ago, before I made space in this lovely little room of mine for business files etc,  my Cricut sat on the worktop behind me, thus:

You can just see it.  Buried under stuff - this photo is from the June 2010 file, so I've no memory as to the excuse for the clutter, but you can see, it's pretty well buried and ignored.  And so it has been; until today.  I wanted bunting for a LO and oh boy if you think you're bad at cutting straight lined squares - try a decent triangle...eventually you'll swear, throw your scissors on the table, and decide on a proper course of action.  The space above is now given over to business stuff, so the un-used Cricut went onto a bottom shelf, behind cartridges and other less used stuff.  This of course, has rendered it unattractive in ease of use terms.  Ah well.  It's now set up and running like a dream, on the dining table.  I'd forgotten what a good tool it is.  How useful it is.  How easy it is to use.  So why did I fall out of love with it?  Wellllllllll, it's a bit of a story I think, but ultimately has to do with keeping up with the latest trends again.  I got bogged down in the array of cartridges that were being released...several were exclusive to new model machines only and that really bothered me.  Still does.  As in all product lines, cartridges started to hold less images and indeed, 'spread' the better images across more than one...which made the cost of them an even bigger issue. I was a bit tired of the few cartridges I'd got too. And then there was the whole get-of-your-butt-plug-it-in-and-make-magic-with-it thing.  I got lazy I guess.   So, me and the machine have had an 18 month hiatus.  And today I cut a whole Alpha, some numbers, some triangles and some sign posts.  Nothing major.  But very useful, which is all a good tool should be, huh.  Techniques I've discovered in the last 18 months mean that the stock I used to cut the shapes has since been embossed, inked and added to in other ways, so now truly the Cricut is a good foundation tool.  Rather than say 2 years ago when the cut out images would have been the first thing you'd have noticed on my LO.  So the moral of this story - if you're tired with it..put it away a while, just like Dr Spock recommends about children's toys.  Re-acquaint yourself after a decent period of time and re-assess.  It might be worthwhile.  I wonder if this theory can be applied to housework?
Can't show you a pic of the LO...computer has crashed every time I tried to introduce new files...guess where it's going on Monday!  
Meanwhile, have a great weekend.  If you're looking for a crop - we're meeting at Ludgershall tomorrow.  

16 comments:

Di said...

I have an idea - put your computer away for a while and then take it out and see if you fall in love with it all over again :) But, then we'd miss you so take it to the docs instead. Hope you do show the results - nice to find something we've put away and learn to play all over again. Di xx

Dragon said...

That's very interesting, cos it happens with all sorts of stuff and stamp particularly... you used one or a set, ad infinitum then get fed up and don't use it for a long while... always nice to get stuff out after a "holiday"
Frankie
xx

donnalouiserodgers said...

Didn't Dr Spock say live long and prosper too? oh sorry, yes the real one, not the star trekker, it is late...

have fun with your foundation toy, see you next week...

Dx

KanataNewf said...

funny you should have this post today - I have have two cricuts, both equally neglected. But one of my fave stamp companies just released a partnered cricut cart with some of their stamps. I had to get it and am looking forward to dusting them off and giving them a whirl!

alexa said...

Useful cautionary and hopeful tale! I wonder if it would work with human beings too?! :)

misteejay said...

Hope the 'puter gets a clean bill of health at the PC Dr's on Monday and everything is sorted and up and running glitch-free.

Space can be such a problem with all these fabulous pieces of equipment and unfortunately if they are not 'to hand' they don't tend to get used. Glad you are playing with your Cricut again.

Toni xx

Glenda said...

My circut is in a drawer...just waiting for reprieve. I no longer scrapbook so it just sits there getting older and older. Maybe one of these days I'll get it out again and play.

Helen said...

I have never had a Cricut, baulking at the expense but agree about not using things for ages and then rediscovering them. Not sure about housework, mind! Better luck with loading pictures soon, and enjoy the crop.

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

My Cricut is being stored at a friends house about 9 hours away from here. Yeah, I wasn't feeling the love.

Mary said...

Amen Sister! I'm guilty of the same thing and though I don't have a circuit...I have a Gazelle that I need to start using more often! I bought it because it didn't need cartridges....it has loads of single graphics you can purchase and the alphabets are wonderful!

Claire said...

This post has made me feel guilty, poor Robbie the Craft Robo has been sat in my craft room unloved & unused for 18 months, & I've only used him about 3 times before that. I'm going to get him out, dust him down & try & learn to love him.
C
xx

Belinda Basson said...

We are the same the world over! I think we are all guilty of storing stuff and not using it cos it is a mission to get at or use! Or it is a case of out of sight, out of mind!

okienurse said...

I think all of us have tools with similar histories. I get a bit miffed with the crafting business and supply business frequently. It seems that every thing is planned to be come obsolete and to make you have to buy more of it or the 'new and better' product. If you buy it on a craft isle it costs twice what it would in an art supply or hardware store. But....I keep buying. vickie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I don't seem to own any of those die cutting machines, but I agree that if you don't keep up with the insane latest toys, the older dies won't work. And now the Sizzix is even worse. People tell me that only the new Tim Holtz machine will be the one dies will be made for. I've heard so many bad things about it, it makes sense to never ever own one.

Of course, you could have a flood, have all your art supplies sent to storage, get them back in lots of boxes with no place to store them, then learn to love your art supplies all over again (grin).

Hope the crop was a success. I've been busy with a house guest much of this week, so that's why I've been unable to visit. Finally able to catch up. I can't believe I couldn't even join WOYWW last week.

Susan said...

I just got a Cricut two months ago and haven't used it yet - truth be told I think I'm a bit scared of it - is that weird???

Jona Panesa said...

ooh, and my cuttlebug is barely touched. I bought a new die and I haven't even used it yet. have a great week too!