Friday 15 January 2010

Movin' on...

Fiona has recently posted an article on her blog saying that she's stopped crafting, all the stuff is put away and maybe she'll come back to it. She has lots of interests to divert her, after all she's a well rounded personality. But no crafting? Blimey; I've been thinking about that all morning. Sweet Sissy Dunnit once told me that she had turned down the chance to conduct workshops at her local store because she didn't want her hobby to become a pressure - it would spoil it. Fiona has recently given up a Stampin' Up franchise, the pressures of being 'out there', keeping up with samples, literature and finding customers, she says 'got to her'. And if you ain't enjoying something, you should wherever possible, stop or change, huh! So far and after all this time, the only part I don't really like is putting a workshop kit together after I've already done them (last minute bookings) and that's not exactly a reason to stop! When I had the shop, I was happy not to bring stuff home with me to do, it was enough of a creative outlet for me, even if I didn't always have the chance to 'play' with my products. No doubt for me that the crafting is also almost secondary to the community in which I find myself immersed, I love every social aspect of it, some parts of which it took me a while to 'break' into. So I think that's part of why I felt a rush of shock, sadness even, for Fiona's decision. I'm unable to imagine my days without a bit of crafting thrown in, what about you? How long can you go before you have to make something? Big holidays like Christmas sap your strength for a while, sure, but you're still planning and thinking about it aren't ya? Have you ever taken a real break from this paper madness? Fiona's qualified as a Dog Trainer, so it's not like she'll have nothing to do! How interesting.

OK and here's a pedantic PSA. Public Service Announcement. I like an acronym, as y'all know. But it has to be a properly used one. Here's the one that currently drives me mad.
ETA It has, in common usage, two meanings:
Edited To Add or Estimated Time of/to Arrival
It doesn't, hasn't and I can't find evidence that it ever meant anything related to drawing your attention to a matter in the written form. In those cases, NB is the acronym to be used. (Nota Bene, latin for note well, or please note or pay attention to this bit, blah blah). I don't know why I've suddenly started noticing this, and it shouldn't bother me, but it does. Lecture over.

Oh and PS - the card features Basic Grey papers (Sugar Rush) and a stamp by Hero Arts.

13 comments:

Annie said...

I cannot imagine, and hope I never have to experience, my life without crafts of some form. I started card making whilst looking after my Mum for the 9 years she outlived my Dad. It was my escape from reality. Back then it was only ever a rare 20 minute crafting snatched from a busy day but it was my therapy and I was extremely grateful for it.
A x

Deanne said...

Its kinda weird, I love to craft and because I have so many different crafts I enjoy I doubt I'll ever stop crafting.
When I feel the need to put a certain craft down I can pick something else up and then go back to the other one at a later date and enjoy it all the more for a having a break from it.
Even if I'm not in the mood to craft my hands are agitated lol
Have a lovely weekend x

Linby said...

NB - not allowed to use that these days cause of plain english! I remember an episode of the Good Life where Margot left a workman a note and he ignored it. She said didn't you see this note marked NB he said "that wasn't for me I'm AB Arthur Brown" - hilarious and timeless!
Linbyx

Megan said...

Hmm I really don't go too long between projects but I definately do not craft every day. I have started the babies album, then we did holiday cards - then we did ornament swap. The last couple of months I was immersed in creating for the showers. And of course looming in the back of my head is Daisy's first birthday party. The theme is cupcakes - if you see something cute - send me the idea.

Anonymous said...

Well...I stopped for a while this last year...over half the year while I 'tried' to work on my MA. I think truthfully, it just made things worse. Crafting is my creative outlet and when I didn't do it...the rest seemed a little more gray. I feel for her because I don't know if I would want to craft under pressure. Hope she comes back to it though..she sounds like she was amazing. Best wishes,

Lyn said...

Due Kudos to Fiona for finishing because she is ready to and not because she has to. Enough people have jobs for the money not the pleasure. Go Fiona!

Having said that, the thought of NOT crafting in any form (even if I'm not doing much at the moment, I am thinking about it and reading magazines)gives me the eebie jeebies. For me, it is my full time job (which I am lucky enough to love) and caring responsibilities that eat into my craftimg time. But, the bonus of being my age (if there is one!) is that, God spare life, I am ever closer to retirement (for "retirement", read "crafting time"). Not at all that I am wishing my life away, but, one day......

Talking of Latin (and I do have that O level, again, showing my age) does anyone still use "stet" (let it stand) if they cross out something they didn't mean too?

ally fiddy said...

Lovely cards.
I havent seen ETA used wrongly but it would completely confuse me if I did, but then I always have to look twice when I see ATC mentioned cos I think of Air Traffic Control! Guess its an imbalance of work/crafting.

Fiona said...

Wow Julia - didn't mean to make you sad with my no crafting - I'm still doing my inchies but just don't think I'm as talented a crafter as so many others out there and feel a bit of a cheat sometimes if I'm honest. I'll still do something with the blog as I love the blogging side and have met so many great people - some even in the flesh so to speak, including yourself. I'm hoping I can get back to my scrapbooking as that I can see a point to. In the meantime - SIT!!! lol!

Paige said...

For me the thought of not crafting at least every other day (and i do try every day) is just to scary to consider. I did watch Shimelles "why do I scrapbook" video on youtube amnd at the end she asks "what if you couldn't scrapbook anymore?" That would be my worst nightmare! ..... well almost ;) But no I use my crafting as a de-stresser, it is my lifeline to my sanity!

Carmen said...

I can't imagine craft not being in my life in some form or another. Even if I'm not doing it then I'm talking about it, thinking about it or reading books and blogs about it. Perish the thought. Maybe she just needs a break and get back to it being an enjoyable hobby and not a career?

I must admit to using eta when I have posted on a forum and then think of something else so edit the post, only when it would then show a compulsory 'this post was edited at such and such a time'as I feel like I have to explain that little note at the bottom.... but that would be the right way wouldn't it? Ooer - got me wondering now.

Rosie said...

I can't remember a time when I wasn't cutting and sticking or sewing something ... and a part of me dies a little if I can't make time to do so. I've learned the hard way that it's entirely necessary to my souls health.

I'm a Stampin' Up demo too ... but I do it strictly on my terms and in my own way. It's fun so far, but if that ever changes I'd make the same decision.

PS Nice card by the way!!

Claire said...

That card is gorgeous Julia.
x

Anonymous said...

[url=http://citalopram.club/]citalopram[/url] [url=http://lasix40mg.cricket/]lasix 40 mg without prescription[/url] [url=http://retina-a.xyz/]retin-a 0.025[/url] [url=http://tretinoin-gel.eu/]tretinoin gel 0.05[/url]